Apple Deployment Programs - the VPP and DEP
Apple DEP –
Device Enrolment Program
This is a free to use Apple Programs that allows your School or college to track and easily deploy iPads and Macs.
The Device Enrolment Program, otherwise known as DEP makes the initial setup of your new Apple devices much simpler and allows your I.T. department to pre-configure them without even touching them, using Apples Mobile Device Manager (MDM).
This ensures that when devices arrive they can be unboxed knowing they are ready to run for your institution, meaning all users get the same setup on their device.
5 Things you need to know about DEP...
- Enrolment - firstly you have to pre-register and enrol your school or institution. This enrolment can take a couple of weeks so it’s worth doing even if you think about taking iPads into your organisation, click HERE to go to the Apple Enrolment screen, click on Enrol Now.
- DEP is NOT a Management tool - when you enrol devices on DEP you can then link to an external Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution where you can select settings and apps to go onto your devices. But you will need an MDM solution, popular ones include Lightspeed and Meraki.
- It's Free - you can use DEP as a way to track your assets and if you have a Sync cart, such as Bretford, then you don’t need to pay extra for a MDM solution as you can configure the iPads via the Cart.
- HardSoft DEP Authorised - we have been a full authorised Apple Reseller since 2008 and have become DEP authorised which means we can log your devices for you. Our Apple DEP reseller code is 6DBD7F0
- DEP is not VPP!! - OK lots of acronym’s there but Apple offer another Program called Volume Purchase Program or VPP. If you enrol you school in the VPP this allows you to get discounts for bulk purchases of Apps. So for example Book Creator is usually £3.99 but is 50% cheaper if you are enrolled to the VPP. Please click HERE for the link to enrol to VPP.
Hardsoft recommend and will help you to enrol in both the DEP and VPP programs. These two programs enable your school or college to access cheaper prices for Apps and also manage your devices much more effectively to enable a smoother roll out of your devices.