What Is QuickBooks?
QuickBooks is a fantastic piece of accounting and bookkeeping software that can make business owners, and accountants’ lives much easier.
It helps automate bookkeeping tasks for greater efficiency and accuracy.
From sole traders to reasonably sized SMEs, QuickBooks is a tool that is widely used by businesses of all types.
It’s helpful to be aware that QuickBooks is actually a family of software, primarily known for its bookingkeeping programmes, but also includes accounting software and finance solutions software for small businesses.
The QuickBooks collection of software currently includes:
- QuickBooks Payroll – Pay up to 50 employees
- QuickBooks Commerce – Brings all orders and inventory onto one dashboard so you can observe the real-time status of every order.
- QuickBooks Online – Keep accounting books in the cloud to use anywhere + invoicing features.
- QuickBooks Live – Partner with expert bookkeepers
- QuickBooks Payments – Generate pay-enabled invoices
- QuickBooks Time – Track billable hours for employees and/or clients
Invoicing and bookkeeping are what QuickBooks is most widely known for, but all of its interactions and features are a great asset to small businesses looking to automate processes.
QuickBooks is also popular among accountants. It used to be believed that this software would impinge upon the roles of accountants. Interestingly, QuickBooks instead became a useful complementary tool in accountants’ arsenal.
It has enabled them to level up into a more strategic/advisory role. Although some businesses even choose to hire accountants to manage QuickBooks for them if they are very time poor.
QuickBooks is a fantastic accounting automation tool for both accountants and your clients.
However, regardless of whether you’re an accountant, sole trader, or small business owner, there are certain requirements for your computer hardware in order to use QuickBooks. You need to ensure that you lease a suitable device.
There are quite a few accounting laptop requirements since accounting software like QuickBooks tends to demand a reasonable amount of power.
If you’re looking to use QuickBooks on a laptop, you’ll want to make sure that your computer meets the system requirements for the software. We will be outlining the requirements for the QuickBooks Desktop version for 2022. We’ll also point out some helpful tips for choosing a laptop on which to run QuickBooks to get the best experience.
For QuickBooks Desktop 2022, the minimum requirements are:
- Windows 10 (64-bit)
- 2.4 GHz processor
- 8 GB of RAM (16 GB recommended)
- 2.5 GB of available hard-disk space
- 1280×1024 screen resolution, 16-bit color
- 4x DVD-ROM drive (unless you download QuickBooks from Intuit server)
- Internet connection for product registration and activation, and for downloading updates and payroll
It’s worth noting that these are just the minimum QuickBooks laptop requirements. If you want to run QuickBooks smoothly, we recommend going above and beyond these requirements, especially in terms of RAM and hard-disk space.
QuickBooks can be a resource-intensive program, and having more RAM and storage will help ensure that it runs smoothly.
How To Choose The Best Laptops For Running QuickBooks
In addition to the system requirements for QuickBooks, there are a few other things to keep in mind when choosing a laptop.
- Processor: QuickBooks requires a 2.4 GHz processor (or higher). If you’re using a laptop with an older processor, you may experience slow performance when running QuickBooks. Look for a laptop with a modern processor, such as an Intel Core i5 or i7.
- RAM: RAM is an important factor when running QuickBooks. We recommend getting a laptop with at least 8 GB of RAM.16 GB or higher would be ideal. This will help ensure that QuickBooks runs smoothly, even if you have multiple other programs open at the same time.
- Storage: QuickBooks Desktop requires at least 2.5 GB of available hard-disk space. However, we recommend getting a laptop with a larger hard drive or solid-state drive (SSD). This will give you plenty of space for storing QuickBooks files, as well as other documents and files related to your business.
- Graphics: QuickBooks doesn’t require a high-end graphics card, but having a dedicated graphics card can help improve performance, especially if you’re working with a lot of data. Look for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card from NVIDIA or AMD.
- Battery Life: If you’re going to be using QuickBooks on the go, you’ll want a laptop with long battery life. Look for a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery life, so you can work without needing to constantly charge your laptop.
- Portability: Finally, consider the portability of the laptop. If you’re going to be using QuickBooks while traveling or in different locations, you’ll want a laptop that’s easy to transport. Something both lightweight but sturdy and not easily damaged.
As business-grade laptops, the majority of Hardsoft’s stock will be perfect for running QuickBooks. We have numerous clients, including accountants, small business owners, and larger corporations who utilise QuickBooks, often alongside other demanding software.
Our expert technicians can help you select the device that is most suited to your needs and power requirements with the perfect specs for your bookkeeping and accounting software. We also have perfect devices to meet accounting laptop requirements even if your firm uses a variety of heavy-duty software, including some of QuickBooks finance solutions programmes.
Hardsoft stocks a large range of laptops to lease that will be high performing while running QuickBooks. We have a selection of both business PCs laptops for running QuickBooks, as well as Macs perfect for running QuickBooks.
With Making Tax Digital looming ever close and being rolled out to more business sizes and types, QuickBooks is a smart choice for making sure your tax returns remain HMRC compliant in the future.
What About QuickBooks for Chromebooks?
There is not currently a desktop version of QuickBooks for Chromebooks.
Unfortunately, the software is not yet compatible with Chrome OS. However, not to worry, because QuickBooks Online is accessible for Chromebook users.
QuickBooks Online is the cloud-based version of QuickBooks. This can be accessed on a Chromebook through the Google Chrome browser.
Carissa Parnell has been with HardSoft for over 10 years, she is a content writer and helps us with blogging. She is highly experienced in copywriting for SEO strategies, web copy, email marketing and article writing.
Carissa’s interests include Gaming, Sci-fi, fantasy and fashion.
LinkedIn: Carissa Parnell