Nowadays, we are more than used to technology evolving at a rapid rate. It should therefore come as no surprise that the time has come for our communications systems to undergo a long overdue upgrade.
Our current copper-wire-based communication system was invented in the late 1800s, by a genius named Alexander Graham Bell. This system is called the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN), and it’s the technology behind landline telephones.
It’s undeniable that the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) and Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) have played pivotal roles in connecting people and businesses for decades. However, the relentless march of technological progress has led to BT’s decision to discontinue these traditional systems by 2025, signalling a major turning point in the way we communicate.
What are PSTN and ISDN?
PSTN, often associated with landline telephones, has been the backbone of telecommunications since the late 1800s. On the other hand, ISDN, a more advanced digital transmission system, caters primarily to businesses by enabling services such as video calls and data transmission over the traditional PSTN circuits. These systems have served us faithfully, but as technology advances, it becomes imperative to embrace change.
What will replace PSTN and ISDN?
Much like the shift from analogue to digital television, the world of telecommunication is undergoing a digital switchover. By 2025, the familiar sight of traditional phone lines will become a thing of the past. Instead, communication will occur securely over the internet, using VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), and all data will be stored in the cloud. This transition not only promises enhanced security, but also paves the way for greater flexibility, scalability, and cost-effectiveness.
How could the BT Switch Off affect businesses?
BT unveiled plans for the 2025 Public Switched Telephone Network (PTSN) and Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) switch-off eight years ago, back in 2015. Despite this, a significant 70% of UK businesses continue to rely on landline-based communication systems, with 20% exclusively relying on them. In the context of the PSTN Switch Off, this will mean that a substantial number of businesses will soon need to overhaul their entire communication setups.
How can you adapt your businesses communications to survive the Switch Off?
Amidst the transformation of the communication landscape, Microsoft Teams Phone can be seen as a beacon of salvation. This cloud-based phone system is tailor-made for the modern business world, enabling seamless collaboration across multiple locations and devices. Here are six reasons that Microsoft Teams Phone is a game-changer for businesses:
- Flexibility and Scalability: Microsoft Teams Phone offers unparalleled flexibility and scalability. This means that regardless of where your team members are located, collaboration remains unhindered, ensuring that important calls are never missed.
- Comprehensive Collaboration: With features like video conferencing and instant messaging integrated into Microsoft Teams Phone, it’s not just about phone calls anymore. Microsoft Teams Phone is a prime example of UCaaS (unified communications as a service), meaning that communication is straightforward and hassle-free. Additionally, this service is reasonably priced – here at HardSoft Computers, you can subscribe to this service for the weekly price of just £3.09 per user.
- Enhanced Insights: By providing the ability to analyse call statistics, Microsoft Teams Phone helps businesses gain a deeper understanding of their communication patterns and demands, allowing for more informed decision-making.
- Easy Transition: Microsoft Teams Phone seamlessly integrates with existing Office 365 or Microsoft 365 subscriptions that include Microsoft Teams. Transitioning to this modern phone system is hassle-free and ensures continuity in communication.
- Mobile Integration: Employees can now use Microsoft Teams Phone on their mobile phones, ensuring that important conversations are never missed, regardless of location. Additionally, users can procure accessories if they would prefer landline-style familiarity.
- Security and Reliability: Microsoft Teams Phone adheres to the highest industry standards for security and reliability. Your calls and shared data are protected in a custom-built system designed with the utmost care.
Embracing the Future of Communication
As the world transitions from the familiar embrace of PSTN and ISDN to the dynamic realm of cloud-based communication solutions, like Microsoft Teams Phone, businesses must adapt to continue to thrive.
The BT switch off is not just an end but a new beginning – a step towards more efficient, productive, and secure communication in the digital age. It’s time to embrace the change and usher in a new era of communication excellence.
Job Title: Digital Marketing and Procurement Assistant
LinkedIn Link: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kia-deeks-hyde-41b787236/
Specialise in: Content writing
Interests: Reading, writing, music and philosophy