In today’s digital age, many gamers find themselves without access to a TV screen, either due to sharing it with others or simply not owning one.
However, there’s a convenient solution: using your laptop as a monitor for your gaming console.
In this article, we’ll explore different methods to connect your gaming console to a laptop, whether it’s an Xbox or a PlayStation, allowing you to enjoy your favourite games on a larger and often higher resolution screen.
Can I use a laptop monitor with my games console?
The short answer is yes!
To use your laptop as a monitor for your gaming console, you’ll need a laptop with an HDMI input. Although most laptops come with HDMI ports, they are usually HDMI outputs, which means they can transmit images to an external monitor but cannot receive input from an outside source like a gaming console. However, even if your laptop lacks an HDMI input, there are alternative methods to achieve the same goal.
How to connect an Xbox to your laptop
If your laptop has an HDMI input port, you can easily connect your Xbox using an HDMI cable. Here’s a step-by-step guide;
- Connect your Xbox to your laptop using an HDMI cable.
- Access your laptop’s display settings.
- On the Xbox main menu, navigate to System Settings and configure the screen and resolution settings to your preferences.
Streaming with the Xbox App
For laptops without an HDMI input, you can still utilize the Xbox app to stream games to your laptop or desktop. Follow these steps:
- Open the Xbox app on your laptop.
- Select the Connection option from the menu.
- Choose your desired console from the available options.
- Wait for the app to establish a connection.
- Select “Stream” and start playing your game.
How to connect a PS5 to your laptop
While laptops with HDMI input ports are scarce, there are alternative methods to use your laptop as a monitor for your PS5 console.
PS Remote Play App
Stream your PS5 games to your laptop screen using the PS Remote Play App. Here’s how:
- Download and install the PS Remote Play App for Windows or Mac.
- Log in to your PSN account within the app.
- Enable remote play on your PS5 console.
- The app will automatically scan for available consoles, and you can choose the one you want to connect to.
- Enjoy streaming your PS5 games on your laptop.
Another option to connect your PS5 to your laptop is by using a video capture card. This method avoids potential connection and lag issues associated with streaming apps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Purchase a video capture card compatible with your laptop and PS5.
- Follow the instructions provided with the capture card to connect it to your laptop and PS5.
Is Gaming on a Laptop Recommended?
Using a laptop for gaming is a viable option; however, it’s crucial to consider the hardware limitations. Depending on your laptop’s specifications, you may face challenges in achieving smooth gameplay, especially as games become more demanding.
When purchasing a laptop for gaming purposes, ensure you carefully review the specifications and seek advice if needed.
In situations where access to a TV screen may be limited, using your laptop as a monitor for gaming consoles offers a practical solution. Whether you own an Xbox or a PS5, connecting them to your laptop opens up new possibilities for enjoying your favourite games on a larger and often higher resolution screen.
Whether through HDMI input, streaming apps, or capture cards, these methods provide flexibility and convenience to enhance your gaming experience.
Steve has been with HardSoft since 2005, when Steve isn’t leasing the latest Macs, he’s playing for the mighty Epping Upper Clapton Rugby Club.
Steve Specialises in Security software, Sophos and Barracuda and has interests in Rugby and Star wars.